Wednesday, April 18, 2007

2007 Curry Cup

My brother and someone he knows called Mike have been, for about 9 years, annually competing golfwise for the "Curry Cup" - a sad, laughable trophy made out of a tin on a bit of wood. About 5 years ago I joined them so that someone else could come last each year. So it was that the three of us gathered last Friday for 36 holes at East Horton with 18 to follow on the Saturday at Old Thorns.

All of us were extremely well prepared. I'd played twice or so this year and been to the range with our two sons the previous day, Pete hadn't played this year and Mike thought we were there to play snooker.

Anyways, we all had a lovely time. Which is unusual. Normally Pete seriously strops in a bunker, gives it a good hammering and sulks for an hour and Mike takes a vow of silence whenever it rains which can be the entire day. This year all was well - glorious sunshine and less chaffing than usual due to the competition being shortened to three rounds and the profligate use of ointments. A few years ago we played five rounds, I think, and by the Sunday I could barely even walk I was so sore.

Mike wasn't quite up to his usual standard - apart from his jamminess; whenever his ball hit a tree it would "conveniently" ricochet back to safety. He also seemed to struggle to summon the strength to putt the ball all the way to the hole. Nearly every time.

I was very happy with my game, hit my BLADES (that's BLADES right?) well and didn't suffer with the nerves of past years. And yes, I did come last. Someone has to.

Old Thorns, by the way, is a lovely course - just what I like, if not a little challenging hikewise - I tell you what, if you can make it to the third tee with enough breath left to swing the club you've done well.

Pete won, proving that the less you play the better you get - if he never plays again he'd be brilliant.

No comments: