Friday, July 06, 2007

Ale nomenclature

I was at the Men's (gggrrrrrrrrr...) get together at The Gate last night and had a fine time. Now that the pubs are smoke free and hence largely empty I thought I'd go along. I was kindly bought a couple of bottles of alcohol free Holsten which definitely tasted more like beer than Coke. Pretty much. Anyway, there were three of us left at the end (hardy souls) and I'm proud to say I invented a new ale. I mean, the name for a new ale. We were discussing our favourites - mine being London Pride, Flowers, HSBC erm, no hang on that's a bank, and (shh, don't tell real ale aficionados...) Directors. By the way, Courage Best at our Student bar when I first pitched up was 65p a pint!! (The Bar did go bust at some point...). But I digress. As I offered my choices I was struck at how simple the names were compared to "really proper" ales. So, imagine the quirksome pleasure of walking confidently to the bar and saying, "Hello there, a pint of Old Grumbleweedwhiskersbottom please." Does this or does this not sound just like a real ale? Yes it does. One day, who knows, you may get your chance. Any backers?

3 comments:

Alex Boxall said...

why the gggrrrr?

Con said...

Sounds good Mark, but I think I'll stick to my Cider. Maybe I'll produce a parter product 'Olde Scrote'

Tom said...

You are spot on here... If I walked up to the bar in a good old English pub and the choice was to have any of the other ales you listed or the intriguingly-named "Old Grumbleweedwhiskersbottom", my money would surely be placed on a pint of the latter...