Friday, September 07, 2007

Carbon-offsetting: the rich and the poor...

A website I visit quite regularly is Arts & Letters Daily. I found this on my path as a Homedad needing something to keep my brain ticking over - it's a fantastic site, have a look!

Yesterday before bed I checked it out and found an article on carbon-offsetting - go on, read it, it's veeeeery interesting.

The neat point it makes is that it can only work as long as the third world poor remain poor. Think about it. If they all become as "developed" as us, whom will we pay to make up for our rich lifestyles, eh? Yes, indeed.

Well, I have the answer. Calculate how much CO2 you're putting into the atmosphere (through doing the ironing, or whatever...), work out your "offsetting cost", give me the cash and I'll tell you it doesn't make any difference to climate change anyway. You will sleep better at night, your conscience clear.

3 comments:

Rob Finking said...

Thanks Mark, but we do our best to avoid ironing. Or at least I do. Theresa seems to insist on doing it at least some of the time...

PS I see you're bucking the trend of abandoning the blogosphere in favour of Facebook

Mark Robins said...

Facebook is too complicated, too multi-featured, lacks focus and seems to exist just for people to say hi and "poke" each other. I don't get it, really!

Alex Boxall said...

I'm glad to see that you are keeping up the tirade on those pesky environmentalists!
I have had a good idea in terms of what the government could do to reduce our carbon footprint though... do you remember those films set in the 1800? They all go around in horse drawn carriages... It could make going to Tescos a family outing, reduce the risk of having to visit inlaws (it takes too long) and would also make sudden calls into work a thing of the past! Just an idea...