Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hmmm, interesting...

I went to Countess Mountbatten Hospice today in response to a request in our weekly newsletter for drivers. They need a few more people to transport patients, relatives and small bits of equipment. As our four (incredible) kids have got older my role as a Homedad has changed and I have more time freed up for other things - in October our youngest will be all day at school so loads more golf. Erm, I mean work...

Anyways, towards the end of the meeting I was asked if I'd had a close bereavement recently and, as you may know, my Dad died last October. Now, they don't allow anyone to help in this way until 2 years after a close loss. So I can't do it. This is a good rule but I hadn't thought about that so it was a bit of a, "Ah, right..." moment.

It's made me think hard today (even harder than normal...) because when I saw the request for volunteers it felt right and I could see how I could be a help in the community.
But I can't do it.

I think God said, "No, not now Mark." He's made his point and I wouldn't have got it without being turned down. I think he's asking me to concentrate on the things he has given me to do. My stuff at church is increasing, we're in a new season, and I know this will take significant time and energy. And let me not forget I am a Husband and still a Homedad. I think he's also said, "Just do what I give you as well as you can. Focus your energies on these things."

In the "Battleship surrounded by fishing vessels" picture I knew straight away that my primary place was on the battleship - this is where my energies will be concentrated. After this morning I feel as though I've been given "permission" to do just that: concentrate on the things he's given me and do them as well as I can with what he's given me, and stop feeling so guilty about not doing things he's not given me to do.

1 comment:

Rob Finking said...

The picture says it all =) Somebody (a very busy somebody) once said to me that one of the greatest lessons they'd learned in life was that "seeing a need isn't the same thing as receiving a calling". But I guess that could turn into an excuse to do nothing until I'm sure God has told me to do something... I guess it's a case of pushing at doors and seeing what God has for us like you did.

Thanks for sharing

Now then, who needs chocolate tasters?

Rob