Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Minority sports,,,

Just been listening to Radio 4 on the way back from school pick up - they were talking about speedway. a reporter had been to a match to sample the experience. He was making the point that, as with other minority sports, the fans are utterly devoted. Perhaps the smaller fan base makes you feel a bit more special? Maybe. There was also a piece about the Tour de France which will be starting in London. Hang on a minute... London? Tour de.....?? Anyway, the guy was expounding the benefits of cycling and how it was becoming more and more popular in this country...

We are wired to be devoted to something and to promote that something. Hence, a fan of a particular minority sport, given the airtime, will become quite evangelical about his or her particular sport - we should all be doing it. But to what end, I ask myself? I was reminded of this, Psalm33:

17 A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.

Sport is also a vain hope for deliverance, despite all its great wonders it cannot save. To hear some going on about their particular sport, you'd think it can.

Oh, and when is the Olympics coming to London? I'm not sure y'see, I can't read the Flintstone/Street logo...

3 comments:

Alex Boxall said...

I always find it amazing what sport does to people, but at the same time I completely understand why peopl become so fanatic. People have a need to belong... I was policing a football match between Saints and Wolverhampton the season before last, and despite having no interest in football whatsoever I found myself wanting to be part of the crowd, supporting saints, singing along to their football songs. I felt like I wanted to belong to that group. Thankfully, the match finished, I can't remember the score, and I belong to much better group than any football team fan club!

Mark Robins said...

What, the Joseph Stalin moustache appreciation Society?

Alex Boxall said...

Well, that is a very good group, but wasn't quite what I was getting at! ;)