Monday, April 14, 2008

Mindgames...

I have noticed that I've been "relaxing" a bit with my eating and need to refocus as my weight's gone up a little. This feels like a second phase type of thing - I've lost the bulk (two and a half stone in old money) but have a bit more to lose. As of today I am, according to my cheapo Fat Percentage monitor 27.7% fat. I weighed 76.1kg this morning so I'm pretty much 21kg of fat. Now, you do need some fat, so weighing about 55kg would be bad. Not much danger of this, however...

So what's my "healthy" weight with the recommended BFP (Body Fat Percentage)? Here, for a 39 year old male it's 22%, for a 40 year old it's 25%.

22% makes me 70.5 kg, next year I can be 73.5kg.

(Yes, Alex, I am assuming no change in muscle since it is for ALL intents and purposes here, IRRELEVANT!)

So, 5.6 kg to lose.

Now, the temptation I've been recognising is to stop now and settle for what I've achieved - "You've done really well, Mark, now you can just relax and EEEEAAAATTTT!!"

Hence my take-out count has been creeping up, I ate much more than I normally would this weekend whilst away and my snacking during the daytime has re-emerged a bit. A wise man told me that "Good is the enemy of Great" and it is sooooooo true.

Today I recommit myself to my task and stop messing about.

1 comment:

Alex Boxall said...

Here's a quote I found on a site called factsaboutfitness.com, thought you might find it interesting....

The fundamental principles you need to lose fat without losing muscle have been out there for some time. And they won't be changing anytime soon.

One good illustration of these principles comes from a research team led by Dr. Donald Layman, professor of food science and human nutrition at the University of Illinois.

In the study, researchers compared the effects of a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet against a high-carbohydrate, low-protein diet combined with exercise in 48 obese women. Both diets contained 1,700 calories, 30% of calories from fat, and about 17 grams of fiber.

However, women on the high-protein diet substituted high-protein foods (e.g. meats, dairy, eggs, and nuts) for foods high in carbohydrate (e.g. breads, rice, cereal, pasta, and potatoes) to get about 30% of their total calories from protein (1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight).

Women on the high-carbohydrate diet ate about half that amount of protein (0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight) and got about 60% of their daily calories from carbohydrate.

The women also followed two different exercise programs.

Exercise in group one involved voluntary "light walking activity." Women in this group averaged about 100 minutes per week of added exercise.

While group two walked a minimum of five days per week, they also did resistance exercise (30 minutes of weight training) twice weekly. The exercise was supervised and averaged 200 minutes or more each week.

After four months, both groups of dieters lost weight. Not surprisingly, body composition tests show that women who did resistance exercise lost less muscle and more fat.

• High-protein dieters who did resistance exercise group lost an average of 22 pounds and less than one pound of muscle.

• High-carbohydrate dieters who also did resistance exercise group lost an average of 15 pounds. But they also lost over 2 pounds of muscle.

So, nearly 100% of the weight lost in the high-protein group was fat, while around 15% of the weight lost in the high-carbohydrate group was muscle. This was due mainly to their low protein intake, which averaged just 0.7 grams per kilogram of bodyweight per day.



What about the group who only did the walking?

The high-protein dieters in this group lost an average of 19 pounds. However, over 4 pounds came from muscle. The high-carbohydrate group lost 17 pounds, but nearly 6 pounds came from muscle.

"Both diets work because, when you restrict calories, you lose weight. But the people on the higher-protein diet lost more weight," says Professor Layman. "There's an additive, interactive effect when a protein-rich diet is combined with exercise. The two work together to correct body composition; dieters lose more weight, and they lose fat, not muscle."