Thursday, October 26, 2006

Rain, bring it on!

Played golf with my good friend Obr (not his real name but it is an anagram...) at the Rosebowl yesterday and the good Lord chose our round to make up for any recent paucity in rainfall in Hampshire. Oh yes indeed! It was heartening for me to find that, in my dotage, I have not become a "fair weather golfer" but retain the joy of playing even in weather like yesterday. My good friend Obr (have you got it yet?) stood with me on the 10th doing a convincing impression of a drowned rat and asked hopefully, "Are you sure you really want to do this?". "Oh yes!" I said, "I'm happy!" and indeed I was. Soaked to the skin but happy. Walking along the muddy wooded track to the 13th tee (I think it was the 13th...) I chuckled, "This is why the Romans went home..." When we got to the 13th tee we saw a golf buggy driving across the fairway loaded with flags. "They're taking the flags in" said Obr, not quite managing to hide his joyful relief, "Can't play without flags, can you?"

Robbed. Bunch of lightweights! I'd have carried on...


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great day, but I'm struggling with the anagram of your mate's name.
Was it 'Bro' ?

Mark Robins said...

Close, but no cigarette...

Rob Finking said...

Ha ha, what a poor guess - it's so obviously Orb!

Rob

Rob Finking said...

PS just to be absolutely clear on this... I don't play olgf