Saturday, January 06, 2007

Old enough to be amazed


I picked up Esther from a party at 4pm today and I saw this sunset and took a picture with my phone. Not my camera, my phone. I am old enough to see the wonder in this. Our kids don't and won't see anything amazing about many of the minor miracles of technology I see and will see.

I remember my Dad saying that when he was a boy they were the first in the street to have a telephone; the neighbours would come round to look at it. (But who could they ring?)

I can remember:
- Having to turn the TV on a good 10 minutes before your programme started in order to give it time to warm up.
- The first calculators.
- The start of Breakfast TV.
- The first microwave ovens*
- Space Invaders being cutting edge.
- Video remote controls on a wire**
- The invention of the wheel...

I do feel really privileged to have been born (1969) at a time when I've been able to see and appreciate so much technological change, it amazes me in a way it may never ever amaze our kids.

* Dad would buy the first of most things. The microwave was very exciting. As a family, we stood looking through the window as the frozen sausage roll slowly turned around inside. Nothing appeared to be happening for a while until a little hole appeared in the top and acrid smoke started pouring out. Quite quickly we turned the oven off. The post mortem revealed a piece of charcoal still wrapped in apparently unaffected pastry. We were still impressed though...

** The first video film rental we watched was "Jesus Christ, Superstar". You had to pay £30 to join the Video Rental Shop. The picture quality was so bad it looked like a snowstorm throughout. We watched the whole thing though, fighting each other for the remote control on a wire...

3 comments:

Blaine Downie said...

Scary isn't it!!!

Paul D-P said...

...and vinyl records

Now these are easily in memory, but think about how much has changed.

1. our top loading video recorder (with wired remote control)
2. when air conditioning was an unheard of luxury in cars
3. When a fast computer came with a 2Mhz processor, and 256MB of RAM.
4. When you could buy a black and white tv.
5. When CDs first came out and sounded so good.

It's very funny in old films, cos as my mum says, all you need is a mobile and that situation that was life and death has gone. In new films they have to get round it by having a flat battery and no signal. (Otherwise a 1.5 hours film suddenly condenses to 2 minutes when the hero phones for help)

E.g. James Bond, on her majesty's secret service: He spends 15 minutes roaring around switzerland being chased by bad guys to find a phone box to call London.

PS I still have my 48K spectrum+. We broke the original ;)

Mark Robins said...

Actually, the Fays still have chamber pots under their beds.