Friday, February 23, 2007

It's my birthday!

Happy birthday to me!
38 now (strictly speaking, not for a couple of hours...). I gave a lift to someone after rehearsal tonight and mentioned that it's over 15 years since I finished university. Actually it's 17 years now. I find it a wierd thing to be able to say that. It does, however, seem OKish. Four kids, extremely happily married for 11 years, I think I should be about this age. BUT, I remember being 29 and just wanting to be 30. I thought 29 was the fag end of my 20s; too old to really consider yourself "in your twenties". Roll on 30, I thought!

40 feels different and that is a surprise to me! I'm not 40 yet, of course, butI've always been so forward looking (ask Caroline Kennedy - she tested me!) that my dreams are what almost exclusively drive me. The world has always been my lobster. I'm approaching 40 and for the first time I find myself wondering: what will I accomplish (although four incredible kids is probably enough)? I'm likely over half way now, I feel grown up, fairly anyway, but most of the time I feel like I've only just begun! The older I get the less I know I know. Andy Fay agrees with me here (his prayer on Sunday morning at our home group left us all tearful with laughter btw...) - the longer I live, the more guarded I am with my opinions. I've been alive long enough to have changed my mind several times about things I knew for absolute certain in my twenties...

Perhaps I shall become a wisened old man who never speaks at all!

3 comments:

Blaine Downie said...

happy birthday!!!! my first 6 weeks of being 40 hasn't been too bad. age is all a state of mind. but it isn't about me today so i'll be quiet now.

Alex Boxall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex Boxall said...

And there I was thinking I was old at the age of 25... ;) Happy Birthday!