Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Rarely as simple as I'd like...


I bought some memory for our main PC, 1GB of Ram allegedly compatible with our machine and it arrived yesterday. I couldn't see how to slide the side off the machine (it's OK, it is actually supposed to slide off...). Googled to find a reviewer saying how difficult it was and they'd had to apply significant force to get it off. Hmm. OK, significant force it is! Still couldn't do it so I used a screwdriver to lever it off (a little gung ho, I know...). Then I noticed the catch that just needs to be slid to one side with the easiest of touches and open sesame! Felt a little foolish at that point. No harm done thankfully, apart from a juicy gouge where I slipped!!

I de-static myself by grabbing the radiator and the computer at the same time whilst standing on a wood floor (just following instructions, well, not the radiator, that was my own idea...). Push the memory into the vacant slot and...it doesn't work. Computer won't boot with the new memory in either slot, alone or with the current 512K. Bah!

Just relieved it works again with the original memory in it. Phew!

1 comment:

Paul D-P said...

True, but it can be just incompatible with the machine.

On a similar vein of the catch, I was wondering the other day why my pc was not connected to the network at work. Then I realised I had just plugged in a spare loose cable on the desk, and not the live connection. Must be an age thing.