Thursday, March 01, 2007

Alright, that's un oeuf (Sorry MH...)

Supermarket this morning and I coped better than last time when I was nearly in tears by the time I reached the leeks.

We needed eggs. The egg aisle set me thinking. It seemed that at one end you have the cheapest full deliberate vindictive cruelty to chickens option and at the other end you have the most expensive chickens living a life of conspicuous total luxury option.

So these chickens that are particularly happy - what does that look like? I'm wondering if they each have an eggs-box360 to play games on? Oh yes! I just HAD to put that in! Andy Fay will high five me for that :-)

I was thinking as I went along, "OK, at which point will I crack?" (Hey, that's another great pun!! Hot tonight!) I am assessing the lifestyle of these hens in relation to the price of the eggs. At what point do I say, "OK, no further, they're only chickens, these ones here are taken to the movies every Wednesday and get dental** - the eggs are £137 a dozen..." So I made a cost benefit judgement and bought Barn eggs: "Fresh eggs (good, not stale...) laid by hens (that's preferable...) that are housed in cage free barns." I will sleep soundly tonight.

**This should, in my opinion, counts as cruelty in itself, lulling chickens into your barn on the promise of a dental plan is just plain wrong. It's beyond a yoke.

2 comments:

Chris said...

HI mark, yeah don't buy barn eggs mate they are packed in those 'barns' like people in the supermarket on pay day, it aint funny! We know these things! HA, ha, ha, ha, ha! I will not let you sleep! You buyer of eveel chicken eggs! Much love and stuff, chris and Lou and the hens of course. You just have to take these things seriously man!

Paul D-P said...

Would they be playing eggstreme sports on the eggsbox?

Or watching chicken run? Maybe not. That could give them ideas, and they are clever you know, plotting how to get out all the time.

Anyway just imagine how happy those hens are now they have a pension plan, and a retirement home to go to, paid for by the munificence (write that down) of their consumers.