Monday, August 18, 2008

You shall go to the ball...

I believe my knee is better, hurray! This being the case I'll be hurting myself again this Sunday morning taking part in the Southampton Fast Twitch Triathlon. Love the name, eh? Fast Twitch, referring to muscle fibres that make you go fast. Hmm... I'm nervous even thinking about it! Well, nervous and excited at the same time...

400m swim, 18 mile bike, 3.5 mile run, no problem. Oh, unless there's any sort of hill on the bike in which case I nearly grind to a halt, or the organisers fail to put up CORRECT SIGNAGE ON THE RUN SECTION AND SEND ME THE WRONG WAY EVENTUALLY HAVING TO ASK A RANDOM OLD LADY HAVE YOU SEEN A LEISURE CENTRE AROUND HERE ANYWHERE WHITE OAK I SHALL SAY NO MORE.

And relax.

Nerves are funny things, they make you visit the bathroom before the race with a particular sense of urgency, and in this I am not alone. It's the only time I see a queue for the gents!

Nowadays we associate emotions with the heart but the Greeks, I think, held that the liver was where it's at feelings-wise. This makes much more sense, it's in the intestines if you ask me (proof is in the previous paragraph!). After all, we talk about having the "guts" to do something or not, don't we?*

Anyway, enough wibble for now, I need to go and, erm, pay a visit...

Oh, still no sign of Boots the cat and the sighting was another cat that looked a bit like him :-(

*It's just occurred to me that St Valentine's Day cards possibly wouldn't carry the same appeal with images of intestines on them, would they??

No comments: