Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I am clearly not a gorilla...

So I went to Go Ape as I'd said to my beautiful and generous wife that it looked fun to do and that I'd like to have a go. Me, who gets vertigo standing on a dining room chair changing a light bulb, yeah right! Anyway, she booked me and our lodger in and off we went. Oh, I was being so brave during the safety talk; yeah, whatever, just let me loose!

And then, we went up. And so followed getting on for three hours of terror! There are four sections - between each you get to plant foot on terra firma and after two I was ready to pack it in. But I knew that I would be kicking myself if I didn't force myself to do it (sounds like that triathlon hill, doesn't it? Oh, foolish pride...) and do all the most difficult options (Black - most "extreme", ooh lummy...). What doesn't help is when your brother-in-law and two nephews have already been round, done all the Black routes and are looking up at you. Grinning. Go on, Uncle Mark! So I had to prove myself (...and all our kids were watching. They were very impressed...).

Well, I got to the end, but I did experience a few moments of near panic and was so glad to get to the finish. I got a certificate! And a sticker! I'm really glad I did it, but once is enough. Last night I dreamt I was hanging off the edge of a high building...

Our lodger was throwing himself off backwards and upside down - no fear whatsoever, I don't understand...and he was shaking tree I was standing on, I forgive him...

It would be easy to do a bit about being afraid but pushing on knowing that ultimately you cannot fall, but hey, you can do that bit for yourself. Bed for me soon, and more dreaming about falling from a great height. Super.

5 comments:

Luke Strickland said...

Hi Mark, I'm very impressed, since I too am not great with heights! By the way, I've been meaning to be in touch to ask if you might be able to help me with some simple recordings of a few of my songs please.. but don't think I have your email address. Would appreciate a chat and any good ideas.. Luke

Mark Robins said...

Hi Luke,
I can do simple recordings here at our house, they're good enough for demo purposes - that any help?
Mark

Luke Strickland said...

Hi Mark - that's all I was looking for really, perhaps I can arrange to come over sometime? Payment in beer? Are you planning to do the Romsey triathlon next weekend? Luke

Mark Robins said...

3 bottles of London Pride and it's a deal! Yes, was planning to but slightly ill so may not :-(

Luke Strickland said...

Great, thanks so much in advance.. will be in touch on a secure channel to arrange a convenient time.. and to supply some London Pride! Luke