Monday, April 06, 2009

If it 'aint broke...

We all enjoy a love hate relationship with computers, don't we? (OK you Mac users, for you just a love love relationship...ahh, sweet!) Today the "special tool" (hammer to you) was nearly used on my music PC but I'm typing on it now, so clearly it lived to see another day.

So my PC's working just fine but I think that a newer webcam would be better than the one I have (fruit of a frustrating attempt to have a video skype chat with someone), so it's off to ebay and a Logitech Fusion now sits atop my monitor - I took the photo with it. But, I did spend a lot of the day getting the computer back to how it was in the morning! If it ain't broke as they say...

So I install the new(er) webcam and find that now my soundcard and ethernet card don't work. No sound, no web. Call me Mr Picky, but this is definately worse than before, not better. Better had been my intention.

A friend commented (as I was keeping everyone up to date on my progress via Facebook) that people who go to Macs just can't take the pain of these things happening, and that I should be a man and fix it. And you know, I do feel great having fixed the problem I didn't want to have in the first place. If nothing had gone wrong I wouldn't be feeling as triumphant as I am now!

There's something in this. Given the choice, I'd probably rather avoid all problems and the associated frustrations, but then I wouldn't have those moments of, "YES! LOOK GOD, WE DID IT!", would I? The need to solve problems seems to be built in but so, it also seems, is the desire to avoid them.

The good news, folks, is that we probably don't need to be seeking out problems to keep us sharp, they will come anyway. Especially if you have a PC, not a Mac.

Now, it's Ctrl+Alt+Delete isn't it...??

No comments: