Friday, November 24, 2006

proskuneō

One of my favourite definitions of "worship" so far is:
"Worship is our occupation with God himself, with the greatness of his being."

I like this because it doesn't restrict worship to any one activity of group of activities. I regularly lead "worship" in church meetings and it is one of the great pleasures of my life - what a joy and privilege! Most of us in these times are occupied with the greatness of his being, as above.

However, when I play golf I am also occupied with the greatness of his being. For me, the flight of a golf ball is a truly beautiful thing to behold (until the ball vanishes into the trees/water/ditch/rough/bunker). Let's restrict ourselves to that perfect drive all of us golfers have hit at least once:

The ball soars upwards and away, straight, splitting the fairway, you watch it in the air for what seems like minutes and it lands, bounding on, finally coming to a halt leaving just a wedge to the green. Aaaahhhhh yes! God himself came up with everything involved there. The feeling of impact, the sound, the sight, the parabolic flight modified by the spin of the ball and air resistance, the bounce, the roll... It's all from him!

I believe we can nurture in ourselves an ever increasing awareness of the greatness of his being in everything that we do. Everything that we do. If you are doing nothing more than breathing right now, well, he gave you the lungs didn't he?

The term "worship" is problematic, to my mind, in that it's become overly associated with our music. However, I can offer no better word or phrase to replace it.

I just don't want anyone thinking that their "worship" only happens in our music.

This is worth reading too, for a range of descriptions of worship.

No comments: