Thursday, November 30, 2006

There are gaps...

Everything is not alright all the time and this needs to be reflected in our church songs. We can find ourselves only addressing the joys of life and ignoring the woes. It's not very realistic is it? There are many gaps in our subject matter that need filling.

This lady is Mary B Shindler (1810-1883), one of the ladies (Mary Ann Ser­rett Bar­ber (1801-1884) being the other one) to whom the following hymn words are attributed:

Prince of Peace, control my will;
Bid the struggling heart be still;

Bid my fears and doubtings cease,

Hush my spirit into peace.

Thou has bought me with Thy Blood,
Opened wide the gate to God;
Peace I ask, but peace must be,
Lord, in being one with Thee.

May Thy will, not mine be done;
May Thy will and mine be one;
Chase these doubtings from my heart,
Now Thy perfect peace impart.

Saviour, at Thy feet I fall,
Thou my life, my God, my all;
Let Thy happy servant be
One forevermore with Thee!

I found theese words in a section entitled "Doubt" and it's all there: failure to control the will, a struggling heart, fearful and doubting, lack of peace... sounds like me! And you?

I've put these to music and you can listen here.

Each generation can easily fall into the trap of reinventing the wheel when so so many have gone before us, experiencing the same struggles and the same God.

How arrogant we can be!

Respect, Mary!!



2 comments:

David Payne said...

Hey Mark - and Mary,
What a great song. I like the blog too. Someone asked me a while ago how men can relate to God in worship when lots of worship songs, it seems to me, are about feeling in love with Jesus.
This is a good example of a song that's not like that - even though written by a woman!

Mark Robins said...

Thanks David! Interesting, the man take on things. I was after songs that address the struggle part of life reckon these people really had their struggles...