Tuesday, November 28, 2006

YOU ARE AT RISK!!

Why are we so bad at assessing and dealing with risk? I feel like banging my head against the wall, no, hang on, sounds a bit dangerous that...

From the moment of conception, you are at risk, aren't you?

Check out the RoSPA website! People injure themselves in a bewildering variety of ways, take a look...

For example, accidents where the object or product involved is:
"Bus shelter" (be afraid, be very afraid...)

In 2000, 656 people,
in 2001, 696 people,
in 2002, 718 people.
(On the increase you notice??)

Huh? A bus shelter? What are they doing with 'em, throwing them at each other?? Don't believe me? Check it.

Me: OK kids, I know the big bus looks dangerous, and it is, but never forget the hidden danger of THE BUS SHELTER, AAAAAAAAARRGGHHH, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.......
Kids: Have you had too much coffee again, Dad?


On the radio this morning I heard a lady linking phone masts, microwave cookers and cancer, all in the same breath!! Does she ever cross the road (VERY DANGEROUS - DON'T DO IT!)? Her "evidence" was almost entirely conjecture; good job they had a Boffin to speak some sense.

I'm reminded of the MMR problem, "Unless you can guarantee me that my child is at no risk whatseover from this jab, they're not having it. I'm sorry, but I have the safety of my child to consider - are you SERIOUSLY asking me to put my child in DANGER??" I despair...

From whence came the idea of a riskless society?
It's about balance of risk, isn't it?

Anyway, BAN ALL BUS SHELTERS!!

No comments: