Wednesday, November 22, 2006

There's plenty of room on board...

"The name "bandwagon fallacy" comes from the phrase "jump on the bandwagon" or "climb on the bandwagon", a bandwagon being a wagon big enough to hold a band of musicians. In past political campaigns, candidates would ride a bandwagon through town, and people would show support for the candidate by climbing aboard the wagon. The phrase has come to refer to joining a cause because of its popularity"

As I have confessed previously, I am biased, but I do think the anthropogenic argument looks like one big bandwagon. Seems to me so many people are jumping on without actually doing the research themselves.

Did you read this paper yet? I found it hard going but it makes a good case. Everyone does, that's my point, so let's not just go with a majority view simply because it's, by definition, popular.

Argumentum ad populum is worth checking out too...


2 comments:

Blaine Downie said...

Pretty heady paper. I'll have to try and read it some other time, but once I saw that the paper came from Canada I knew that it would be flawless and true!!

Mark Robins said...

Hey Blaine! It is to your great credit that you are so open minded and objective :-)